Saturday, October 17, 2009

Interesting Fact #1: The Adhan

Around lunchtime, I suddenly heard a loud voice being broadcast through some loud speakers at the Malay Heritage Centre. It sounded like a melodious chant. I could not understand what was being said. When I asked the woman behind the counter what it was, I found out that it was known as the adhan, the Islamic call to prayer at mid-day. It is to inform the Muslims to gather at the mosque to pray. My groupmate Ali told me that Muslims pray five times a day and they will know when to pray through this call to prayer. I recorded a short video clip of it when I heard it. Here it is:


This is the nearby mosque called Sultan Mosque. It looks quite grand!


2 comments:

  1. Xiaomin from 4 CharityOctober 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM

    I didn't know that Muslims have to pray 5 times a day! That's a lot of times! But what if a muslim was not near any mosque during mid-day and missed the adhan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a very famous temple in Chinatown. It is called the Thian Hock Keng Temple. The temple is painted in the typical red colour and the early immigrants went there to give thanks for the safe passage via the sea!

    ReplyDelete